Today is my first day of Thanksgiving Break! As always, it could not have come at a more perfect time. The kids needed it. The teachers needed it. It was time!! Only downside is that we are going to be staying in El Paso for Thanksgiving this year. It's my first one away from my family, so I have a whole week to myself of doing absolutely nothing. Well, at least nothing that I have to do. I plan on cleaning and getting a lot of Christmas shopping done. We will see....

I started decorating for Christmas this weekend. I know, I know.. it's not even Thanksgiving, yet. The way I am justifying it is that I am going to be going home to Mississippi on December 16 for Christmas, so that leaves me little time to enjoy my decorations.

Yesterday, I was feeling crafty...Now, when I feel crafty, I am usually quickly reminded 10 minutes into the project that I am NOT the crafty Matthews sister, which results in waste of money, and a stomping, frustrated fit, usually. Well, I am proud to say that my craft went off without a hitch! Sure, it was simple, but even the simplest crafts I get frustrated with, ADD kicks in, and I'm done.

So, here is what I did....I absolutely love a banner. I have a "trick or treat" banner for Halloween and  a "happy holidays" for Christmas. Well, as I was decorating my mantle yesterday, the top needed something, but I'm not really into wreaths, so I thought... A BANNER! I didn't know where to find another holiday banner (especially in El Paso- didn't want it to say Feliz Navidad...) I didn't want to order one online... I wanted one NOW! So, I came to the conclusion that I was just going to have to make one.
Here it is! An easy DIY banner for the Crafty Challenged!
What you need:
1- 4 pieces of paper of your choice for JOY and Christmas trees (I used red glitter cardstock from Michaels)
2- String/ribbon
3-Hole Puncher

What you do:
1-I picked a cute font and printed out JOY out as big as I could get it for each letter to be the size of one page. (If you are actually crafty, then you would freehand this step, this is for the craft impaired people, like myself)
2-Cut out each letter and trace them onto the fancy-shmancy paper
3-Cut each letter out
4-Punch two holes at the top of each letter
5-Thread your ribbon/string of choice
Voila! The easiest banner ever! :)
 Here is the finished product with the mantle. 

These little guys from World Market are my favorite! :)

Now that it's 11:30, I will get out of bed and plan our mini Thanksgiving dinner. Cayce and I are going to have our own little dinner tomorrow night, so that we can have some of our southern favorites. Thursday we will be going to our neighbors for a Mexican Thanksgiving. Can't wait!
Happy Thanksgiving Break!










0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home